2016 was a great year in Big Canoe! As the New Year approaches, we’re enjoying looking back at everything we’ve accomplished as a community, as well as the many fun times we’ve shared inside the gates. Here are just a few highlights:
• Bears and Wildlife: We had many exciting black bear encounters in Big Canoe this year, prompting us to share with you a brief guide to help keep everyone safer and protect these magnificent creatures that inhabit the surrounding woodlands. Residents also shared many amazing photos of our black bears.
• Charity: Big Canoe gave back to the community big time, with several charity events throughout the year, including the Legacy of Caring Marketplace, Big Canoe Wellness Collaborative Taste of the Mountains event, the annual Fireman’s fundraiser and much more.
• Contests:We sponsored a photo contest on Social Media with our friends from Atlanta Trails, to find the best #GeorgiaSpring photo. Contestants were challenged to show off their best Georgia spring photos via Instagram and Twitter, competing to win an exciting stay in Big Canoe. Ultimately, we had to choose one winner and it was Matt Boucher’s photo of sweet tea sipping on the Chattahoochee River. We had a blast hosting Matt and his guests, and you can read all about his experience here.
• Discovery: Many people took advantage of our Discovery Package, reserving exclusive lodging and use of our amenities to learn more about Canoe Life. We were excited to see so many new faces and make new friends along the way.
• Easter: The annual Easter Celebration was EGGcellent this year, complete with a visit from the Easter Bunny himself. Children hunted for Easter eggs all over Wildcat Recreation Area.
• Social Media Training: We hosted Facebook 101 and Instagram 101 training classes for our residents to get them up to speed on all of the latest tips and tricks for some of the most popular social media websites.
• Summer Fun: There’s nothing like Summer fun in the Mountains, and we did it right with a Fourth of July Celebration with fireworks and the Family Fun Day, the Cardboard Boat Race Regatta and swimming at our pools, lakes and rock slide.
• Trails: We teamed up with Atlanta Trails again to create a brand new digital experience for our website. They developed awesome interactive pages that map, photograph and detail every mile of our extensive, award-winning trail system. Each trail guide features detailed descriptions, helpful photos, interactive maps, and parking information to help you make the most out of each adventure into the woods.
Again, these are just a FEW of the dozens of events we enjoyed in Big Canoe this year. We encourage you to take some time over the remaining weeks to reflect on what you accomplished this year and what lessons you’ve learned, while also giving some serious thought to how you’re going to make the most of 2017. Wishing you abundant joy and success—and a very happy holiday season!